Friday, February 6, 2009

M.I.A.


Portrait of M.I.A by Greg Gossel from The Shooting Gallery’s upcoming Grammy art show in LA…

“My thing isn’t about fame or money. It's about, I wanted to bring attention to a situation that you weren’t allowed to talk about. I tried to do it by making a documentary in Sri Lanka and I got banned because you’re not allowed to make documentaries about anything unless it’s pro-government. And when I started dealing with it I decided to became a musician because music is powerful and it’s instant and you can get a message out.” M.I.A.


“It’s about immigration and immigrants, and how we are seen to be really scary because we can take people’s jobs. People think it’s about robbin’ banks or something or it’s about terrorism, but it’s not. It’s about immigrants coming over and us being really scary to people.” M.I.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment